Hiển thị các bài đăng có nhãn School. Hiển thị tất cả bài đăng
Hiển thị các bài đăng có nhãn School. Hiển thị tất cả bài đăng

Thứ Ba, 7 tháng 5, 2013

School kids miss out in bonus scheme

SCHOOLCHILDREN are turning up for lessons without basic stationery and textbooks, despite a Gillard Government handout of $290 million to help Queensland parents equip their kids.

Under the controversial new Schoolkids Bonus scheme, taxpayers have already forked out $128 million to 260,000 families in Queensland, with further payments due in July.

The bonus aims to help parents pay for books and stationery, as well as uniforms, school trips and sport registration fees.

But teachers say the costly scheme has failed, with too many students arriving for class without essential books and equipment.

One teacher said some parents were spending the bonus on themselves.

"There is no way the Government can monitor how this money is being spent," he said.

"What's disappointing is the parents who take the money yet still contribute nothing to their kids' schooling.

"As a result, teachers end up spending their own money, or the school has to take money out of its own budget, and the children miss out on other things instead."

The Schoolkids Bonus was introduced in January to replace the Education Tax Refund, in which parents claimed for equipment using receipts as proof of purchase.

Under this system, the cost to taxpayers was $136 million paid to Queensland families for the 2009-10 tax year and $147 million paid for 2010-11. The Government estimates this year's Schoolkids Bonus payments in Queensland will total $290 million.

The payments are delivered automatically to families receiving Family Tax Benefit A in two lump sums of $205 for primary school kids and $410 for secondary school children.

Queensland Teachers Union president Kevin Bates (pictured) said the money should be allocated to schools rather than to parents to "support students regardless of their home circumstances".

"People say parents are drinking and smoking their Schoolkids Bonus away, but I think the real problem is some families find it hard to feed and clothe their children, so buying school resources is a much lower priority," he said.

A spokesman for the Government's Department of Families said the Schoolkids Bonus "provides parents with financial support upfront, which means they'll have money when they need it most".

He added: "Under the Education Tax Refund, one million families weren't claiming what they were entitled to - either claiming less than the full amount or claiming nothing."


View the original article here

Thứ Hai, 6 tháng 5, 2013

Autism school gets $8m in Vic funding

  • Instant Budget news on your PC and mobile from 3pm tomorrow
  • Download your special Budget iPad edition from 7pm tomorrow
  • Quick guide to what the Budget means for you. Out tomorrow
     

THE Victorian government has announced an extra $8 million in funding for a prep to Year 12 autism school in Melbourne's west.

The funding will be allocated in Tuesday's 2013/14 state budget, Education Minister Martin Dixon says.

It will be added to $4 million the state government allocated in last year's budget for the school, which will be built on the same site as the Laverton P-12 college and cater to 140 students.

Mr Dixon says Melbourne's west is the only area without a dedicated P-12 autism school.

"The west have missed out and this government's delivering that special school," he said.

The school will open initially for Year 4 to 7 students by mid-2014.

Other pre-budget announcements include money for land for a new primary school in South Melbourne and three new schools in Melbourne's growing west.

It also comes on top of $11.5 million announced on Saturday for the first stage of a high school in Melbourne's outer north.


View the original article here

Thứ Tư, 1 tháng 5, 2013

First school on hit list is revealed

55 schools across Queensland have been earmarked for closure by Newman Government

How the State Government draws up its school hit list. Source: The Courier-Mail

THE first school on the Newman Government's ``hit list'' has been revealed, with a proposal to turn Coorparoo Secondary College into a campus of Brisbane State High School.

The controversial school closure and amalgamation list is expected to be finalised within a fortnight.

Education Minister John-Paul Langbroek told State Parliament on Tuesday night the school closure list would have ``a lot less'' than the 55 schools his department proposed last year.

The Courier-Mail understands the number of closures will be less than a dozen.

The Education Minister yesterday said there would be at least six months' consultation before any school was closed and that all principals and teachers would remain with Education Queensland.

Are you a parent of children at these schools? Tell us what you think in the comments box below

But he is hoping to reach a conclusion on the Coorparoo Secondary College (CSC) proposal by the end of next month, with any takeover planned for next year.

Mr Langbroek said the CSC proposal, to be announced today, was about future-proofing the flagship Brisbane State High School (BSHS) while guaranteeing quality education in the area.

BSHS has almost 2400 students - despite only having capacity for about 2150 - and that's before Year 7 joins in 2015. CSC has about 337 Year 8 to 12 students and is about 4km from BSHS.

A ministerial brief published by The Courier-Mail last year warned BSHS might have to stop accepting students on merit entry because of its growing enrolments from within the catchment.

Under the new plan, Mr Langbroek said all CSC students would be offered the opportunity to enrol in BSHS. ``There is no doubt that Brisbane State High is bursting at the seams and risks losing its capacity to accept selected entry students,'' he said.

``For some time, there have been discussions about how to accommodate future growth. ``I've had three options presented to me as possible sites for a second campus - Yeronga State High School, Balmoral State High School and Coorparoo Secondary College.''

A similar proposal was made to former education minister Cameron Dick but he did not sign off on a decision before the election was called.

Mr Langbroek said after considering the location, catchment areas and excess capacity of the proposed alternative sites, CSC was the preferred option and it was a win-win for the community.

``If the community agrees with the proposal, there are a range of possible scenarios for the new Brisbane State High and all of these options will be considered,'' he said.

``We now have to go and listen to both school communities and evaluate any concerns.'' Mr Langbroek said

Queensland needed 100 new schools over the next 10 years and he was committed to finding ways of providing students with state-of-the-art facilities.


View the original article here

Thứ Tư, 3 tháng 4, 2013

Another blow to Black Saturday school

chess

The oversize chess set.

A PRIMARY school destroyed by the Black Saturday bushfires has been targeted by heartless thieves.

Embattled Strathewen Primary School, which was rebuilt after being destroyed in the 2009 disaster, has been subjected to a cruel attack after thieves swiped items of its giant chess board donated to the school by a French village.

It is believed the burglars broke into the school between Thursday, March 14 and Monday, March 18 and knocked off the king pieces belonging to the over-sized board game.

The chess board, which has become a trademark in the school’s outdoor courtyard, was donated by the French village of Villers-Bretonneux as part of the reconstruction effort after its town raised $20,000 to create a French-themed courtyard.

The structure also commemorated the village’s rescue by Allied forces in World War I.

Hurstbridge Police Sgt David Jamieson said the school community was “devastated” by the theft, with the well-used chess board a central focus during lunchtime breaks.

“These children have been through a great deal in the past few years and these chess pieces have come to symbolise the rebuilding of their school,” Sgt Jamieson said.

“It’s incredibly disappointing that someone would target a school that has already gone through so much.”

Several power tools were also taken from a shed on the premises during the burglary.

Victoria Police spokeswoman Belle Nolan said investigators described the fibre glass king structures as “hard to miss” - with each stand around 65cm in height – and were appealing for public assistance to help locate them.

Investigators have released an image of the chess set. Anyone with any information should contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit www.crimestoppers.com.au
 


View the original article here

Thứ Ba, 26 tháng 2, 2013

Light plane crashes near primary school

Light plane crash

The Cessna crashed into a paddock near Cape Clear Primary School. Picture: CFA Source: Herald Sun

A PILOT and his passenger have escaped serious injury after their light plane crashed into a paddock next to a primary school south of Ballarat.

The Cessna clipped power lines before crashing beside Cape Clear Primary School, Cape Clear, about 1.50pm.

The two men, believed to be in their 60s, were being treated by paramedics. Their injuries are not thought to be serious.

No students were hurt in the smash on Scarsdale-Pitfield Rd about 150km west of Melbourne.

View Larger Map

"The plane had clipped the power lines near the school," said CFA duty officer Archie Conroy

"Both occupants are out of the plane and being treated by paramedics. There are no other injuries."

Did you witness the accident? Contact our news desk on (03) 9292 1226. Photos can be uploaded here

The crash happened as the primary students were being taught inside classrooms.

Light plane crash

The Cessna crashed into a paddock near Cape Clear Primary School. Picture: CFA

Principal Christian Brown said no children were in the playground when the Cessna crashed.

"They hit the power line and they got out alive," he said.

"The plane didn't break up, so they were very, very fortunate."

The school and a nearby pub have been left without electricity after the fallen power lines cut off supply.

Cape Clear pub owner Lorraine Cameron said she had seen the plane flying low.

"We had seen it buzzing around and were wondering what it was doing. Obviously looking for a paddock to land," she said.

"It clipped the power line and now it means we have no electricity.

"The children were in the classrooms. They would have got a good view of the landing."

Ms Cameron said she believed the men were from Western Australia and had come to Victoria for an air show.


View the original article here

School maths inquiry: Ask the students

STUDENTS and parents will be asked to contribute to a state inquiry into Queensland's senior science and mathematics assessment system in schools.

The inquiry, revealed in The Courier-Mail last week, will investigate claims that problems with senior assessments are impacting on the number of students studying the subjects, along with concerns about the length of "extended investigations" assignments and marking criteria.

It follows a long-running controversy embroiling the Queensland Studies Authority about assessment in physics, chemistry and mathematics.

Students have been writing up to 10,000 word assignments in the subjects, despite a recommended word length of 1000 to 1500 words.

EDUCATION: Inquiry for 10,000 word school essays

Education and Innovation Committee chair Rosemary Menkens said the inquiry, ordered by Education Minister John-Paul Langbroek, would look at the matters independently.

"This isn't a cut and dried issue," Mrs Menkens said.

"While some teachers have a problem with the current system, others think it is wonderful.

"The committee will consider whether the balance is right between long form assignments and shorter assessment tasks, as well as the differences between, and relative merits of, standards-based and numerical score-based assessment processes in these subjects."

The committee will receive initial briefings from Queensland's three schooling sectors, the Queensland Studies Authority and Professor Peter Ridd, who represents a large group of disgruntled mathematics and science teachers, at Parliament House on Wednesday and Thursday next week.

Sometime after that it will invite submissions from the general public, including parents and other interested parties.

"As well as hearing from educators, administrators, and industry groups, I hope we hear from students during the course of our inquiry," Mrs Menkens said.

Those interested in the inquiry are being encouraged to subscribe to the committee's mailing list on the Queensland Parliament website: http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/en/get-involved/how-do-I-get-involved/email-alert


View the original article here

Thứ Tư, 20 tháng 2, 2013

School brought to you by Scientology

Scientology

Staff and students were not aware that the course material used was sponsored by the Church of Scientology. Picture: Bob Barker Source: news.com.au

Pamphlet

A similar Youth For Human Rights pamphlet, which explains the various parts of the UN Declaration of Human Rights. Source: news.com.au

HIGH school students completed a seminar without being informed it was sponsored by the Church of Scientology.

At least 60 junior students at Woodridge State High School, south of Brisbane, participated in a class on December 10 about human rights featuring materials from the group, Youth For Human Rights.

Staff and students were not told the group is sponsored by the Church of Scientology.

The seminar did not include teachings from Scientology, although it did include a quote by Scientology founder, science fiction author L. Ron Hubbard.

Teachers and ethics experts have now called for greater disclosure about background information from groups coming into school grounds.

Kevin Bates, president of the Queensland Teachers’ Federation, said the lack of disclosure was concerning. "The key issue is that [their links] were unbeknown to the school," Mr Bates said.

He said the school, which has a high refugee population and often works with NGOs, should have learned an important lesson on background checking organisations.

Ethicist Dr Simon Longstaff said all organisations, whether they're religious or commercial, should disclose their backgrounds when coming into schools.

"Any organisation thinking to make a presentation within a school environment should be transparent about who they are," Dr Longstaff said, adding it was essential for staff and students to make informed decisions to consent.

Sei Broadhurst, a Church of Scientology spokeswoman, said in a statement it believed religious groups should disclose their identity before school visits.

"Youth for Human Rights however is not a religious group. Its only purpose is to promote the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which is non-religious," she said.

The Church describe Youth For Human Rights as a "separate and secular organisation" but said the Church provides funds for its materials.

Youth For Human Rights "does not promote Scientology at all", Ms Broadhurst said, adding that the L. Ron Hubbard quote in study materials only promoted human rights.

"The Church of Scientology does not conduct school visits and only does presentations of Scientology teachings in our own churches and these are always for our own members," Ms Broadhurst said.

The Church's support for Youth For Human Rights was clearly disclosed on its main website, she said.

Previously: A day in the life of a Scientologist

Kalisi Bese, the volunteer who ran the seminar, told news.com.au it did not matter who supported the seminar given the huge need for human rights education in the community.

"When I deliver the package it’s more on what human rights is all about, not who is financially endorsed by who or what not," Ms Bese told news.com.au. "It’s a tool that’s really needed."

Ms Bese said she was a Christian, not a Scientologist, and Scientology only sponsored Youth For Human Rights. She said she had given similar presentations to schools and staff in Sydney.

Not the first time

In 2009, then NSW Education Minister Verity Firth directed schools not to use Youth For Human Rights brochures and DVDs, after it was revealed they had been sent to "most schools in Australia".

"It's just a marketing exercise for Scientology," Ms Firth said at the time.

Ms Broadhurst denied the materials were not banned in NSW. They have not been submitted for approval for use by the NSW Education Department as they have their own materials.

A prominent critic of the religion, Independent Senator Nick Xenophon, said the Church of Scientology had a lot of nerve promoting human rights.

Xenophon

Senator Nick Xenophon has campaigned against the Church of Scientology. Scientology reject Mr Xenophon's assertions. Picture: Getty Images Source: news.com.au

"The cruel irony of this Scientology-backed group spruiking human rights is so many ex-Scientologists have told me how their human rights were abused while in Scientology," he said.

Ms Broadhurst said none of Mr Xenophon’s allegations, made under parliamentary privilege, had been substantiated. The Church had been exonerated by the Australian Federal Police, she said.

"The fact that no media outlet has called Senator Xenophon to task over his disgraceful abuse of parliamentary privilege is frankly a disgrace," Ms Broadhurst told news.com.au.

She said the Church places a "very high importance" on promoting human rights in a world "where there is too much prejudice, hate and violence".

Scientology, which is a religion under Commonwealth law, has launched an Australian media offensive this year.

Reporters and celebrities - including former rugby league star Matthew Johns - were invited behind the scenes of Scientology's Australian churches.

News.com.au was the first Australian news organisation to receive access.

news@news.com.au


View the original article here