Hiển thị các bài đăng có nhãn maths. Hiển thị tất cả bài đăng
Hiển thị các bài đăng có nhãn maths. Hiển thị tất cả bài đăng

Thứ Ba, 26 tháng 2, 2013

School maths inquiry: Ask the students

STUDENTS and parents will be asked to contribute to a state inquiry into Queensland's senior science and mathematics assessment system in schools.

The inquiry, revealed in The Courier-Mail last week, will investigate claims that problems with senior assessments are impacting on the number of students studying the subjects, along with concerns about the length of "extended investigations" assignments and marking criteria.

It follows a long-running controversy embroiling the Queensland Studies Authority about assessment in physics, chemistry and mathematics.

Students have been writing up to 10,000 word assignments in the subjects, despite a recommended word length of 1000 to 1500 words.

EDUCATION: Inquiry for 10,000 word school essays

Education and Innovation Committee chair Rosemary Menkens said the inquiry, ordered by Education Minister John-Paul Langbroek, would look at the matters independently.

"This isn't a cut and dried issue," Mrs Menkens said.

"While some teachers have a problem with the current system, others think it is wonderful.

"The committee will consider whether the balance is right between long form assignments and shorter assessment tasks, as well as the differences between, and relative merits of, standards-based and numerical score-based assessment processes in these subjects."

The committee will receive initial briefings from Queensland's three schooling sectors, the Queensland Studies Authority and Professor Peter Ridd, who represents a large group of disgruntled mathematics and science teachers, at Parliament House on Wednesday and Thursday next week.

Sometime after that it will invite submissions from the general public, including parents and other interested parties.

"As well as hearing from educators, administrators, and industry groups, I hope we hear from students during the course of our inquiry," Mrs Menkens said.

Those interested in the inquiry are being encouraged to subscribe to the committee's mailing list on the Queensland Parliament website: http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/en/get-involved/how-do-I-get-involved/email-alert


View the original article here

Thứ Ba, 19 tháng 2, 2013

Red ink warning as schools do the maths

INDEPENDENT schools could close and more than 30 per cent would be worse off nationally under the latest school funding modelling, it was revealed today.

The startling repercussions for Independent schools under proposed funding changes was revealed in Brisbane this morning during a Parliamentary inquiry into the Australian Education Bill.

Independent Schools Council of Australia (ISCA) executive director Bill Daniels told the House of Representatives inquiry ISCA intended to let every school in its sector know next month their individual funding circumstances based on the most up-to-date settings.

He said a proposal, put by Federal Member for Aston Alan Tudge, that more than 30 per cent of Independent schools nationally would be worse off under current modelling, was fair.

It comes despite a Federal Government promise that no school would lose a dollar under proposed funding changes.

Association of Independent Schools of NSW executive director Geoff Newcombe revealed 40 per cent of Independent schools in his state would be worse off under 2011 funding modelling - accounting for about 60 per cent of students in his sector.

Mr Daniels said the "experience in New South Wales would translate roughly that way nationally but it would fall differentially, so in some states there would be no losers".

"Absolutely on the current settings it is a significant number and it would be unacceptable," Mr Daniels said.

But he said the settings were changing daily and the Federal Government could come up with new modelling tomorrow which meant there was a different number of winners and losers.

Outside the inquiry, Mr Tudge said information revealed this morning, including that some Independent schools could face cuts of $1000 to $5000 per student, could lead only to one thing - higher school fees.

"This makes a mockery of the government's commitment that no school will lose a dollar," Mr Tudge said.

A spokeswoman for School Education Minister Peter Garrett said the figures and modelling used by ISCA were not the Government's.

"Our modelling is being finalised with the most recent schools data. Until that's complete any final school-by-school results is mere speculation," the spokeswoman said.

"Our plan will see every schools' funding continue to rise, and no school will lose a dollar per student. That is our rock solid commitment."


View the original article here