Hiển thị các bài đăng có nhãn flights. Hiển thị tất cả bài đăng
Hiển thị các bài đăng có nhãn flights. Hiển thị tất cả bài đăng

Thứ Ba, 16 tháng 4, 2013

American Airlines flights grounded

American Airlines

Passengers are using social media to flood American Airlines with complaints after an outage caused the company to ground the fleet. Picture: Joe Raedle Source: Getty Images

  • Issue with staff accessing reservation system
  • Refunds have been offered and reservation changes won't accrue fees
  • Apologised to customers for the inconvenience


AMERICAN Airlines said Tuesday it had grounded all its aircraft due to problems with its reservation system.

"American's network system is experiencing intermittent outages," AA said.

"We are on a system-wide ground delay that will last until 4pm CST (7am AEST) as we work to resolve this issue as quickly as we can," the company said, apologising to customers for "any inconvenience."

In a Twitter message, AA said: "The issue is w/ our ability to access our res system & not w/@SabreNews. We apologise to Sabre & customers for confusion.

In an earlier tweet, AA had said the Sabre reservation and booking tool was offline.

The number of flights held on the ground and passengers affected were not immediately available.


American said there would be no charge to customers wanting to change their reservations and the airline would provide "full refunds" if their travel plans were not flexible.

"However, we are unable to make changes to current travel plans until we have resolved this issue."

American Airlines is a codeshare with Qantas, potentially affecting some Australian travellers.

American, whose parent AMR Corporation is struggling to emerge from bankruptcy, plans to merge with US Airways to create the largest US airline.

It would also help lift AMR from bankruptcy reorganisation, where it has been since November 2011.

The deal won US bankruptcy court approval in mid-February. Following other approvals required, the merger is expected to be completed by the third quarter of 2013.

The combined airline, to keep the American Airlines name, is to be led by current US Airways chief executive Doug Parker.


View the original article here

American Airlines flights grounded

American Airlines

Passengers are using social media to flood American Airlines with complaints after an outage caused the company to ground the fleet. Picture: Joe Raedle Source: Getty Images

AMERICAN Airlines flights across the United States are grounded because of computer problems.

American asked the Federal Aviation Administration to halt its flights until 5 pm EDT (7am AEST). Flights on regional affiliate American Eagle heading to Dallas, Chicago or New York's LaGuardia Airport have been stopped until 3.30pm EDT.

Some passengers are stuck on planes while others cannotmake reservations.

Passengers are using social media to flood the airline with complaints.

American Airlines spokesman Kent Powell said Tuesday that the airline is trying to resolve the issues as quickly as it can.

On Twitter, American is sending out apologies but not offering customers much information about when the problem will be fixed.

American Airlines is a codeshare with Qantas, so Australian travellers may be affected.


View the original article here

Thứ Năm, 11 tháng 4, 2013

Aussies take up cheap flights to Korea

South Korea tourists

Aussie tourists are among the foreigners still happy to travel to South Korea, despite recent tension with the North. Picture: AFP / KIM JAE-HWAN Source: AFP

THE US says North Korea is preparing for an imminent ballistic missile test, but that hasn't stopped Aussie budget travellers snapping up cheap flights to Seoul.

Last month Scoot airlines launched a service from  Coolangatta to the South Korean capital of Seoul and  Aussie adventure seekers have snapped up all discount seats for the first and most for the second month, The Gold Coast Bulletin reports.

There are few seats available on the route from May 29, the day the service kicks off, until the end of the following month.

MORE MISSILE LAUNCHERS DETECTED IN NORTH KOREA.

And travellers now need to pay as much as $665.23 a person if they want to fly economy class with the low-cost carrier in June to Seoul.

An online search of rival Air Asia X shows flights to South Korea remain popular with travellers with few discount seats available.

South Korean activists

South Korean activists hold a banner showing pictures of South Korean President Park Geun-Hye and North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un, during a rally urging regular operations of the Kaesong joint industrial complex on the road leading to North Korea at a military checkpoint in the border city of Paju. Picture: AFP/ JUNG YEON-JE

This comes despite North Korea telling foreigners that they should prepare to evacuate and issuing warnings about the possible "thermonuclear war" that could be on the way.

Korean politics expert Professor Andrew O'Neil, who will visit South Korea next week, said he was not surprised others were going ahead with trips as some had a blase attitude to the situation due to the region's long history of conflict.

"There has been trouble over there since the 1950s," he said. "So it is difficult for people to know when it is really serious."

Read more about Aussie travellers snapping up cheap flights to Korea despite warning in The Gold Coast Bulletin.

An Australian tourist boarding a flight for Pyongyang says he is not worried about Korean tension.


View the original article here

Thứ Hai, 25 tháng 3, 2013

Cheaper flights after Jetstar deal

Jetstar

The move means Jetstar Airways can co-ordinate with Jetstar Asia, Jetstar Pacific, Jetstar Japan and Jetstar Hong Kong. Source: Supplied

AUSTRALIANS can expect cheap flights to more parts of Asia after Qantas and Jetstar were given the go-ahead to work together with the low-cost carrier's Asian counterparts.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission granted authorisation for Australia's national carrier and its sister airline Jetstar to co-ordinate activity with four Asian-based Jetstar carriers.

The move means Jetstar Airways can co-ordinate with Jetstar Asia, Jetstar Pacific, Jetstar Japan and Jetstar Hong Kong, mostly on intra-Asian routes.

It also makes it easier for them help support each other and expand.

ACCC chairman Rod Sims said the move was likely to benefit travellers by increasing the likelihood of extra Jetstar flights and destinations in Asia and improved connections.

He said the co-ordination was unlikely to result in detriment due to the fact that the Jetstar joint ventures are unlikely to be close competitors with each other.


Jetstar Group chief executive Jayne Hrdlicka said Australian customers would see great benefits from the decision.

"The ACCC's ruling supports our objective for Jetstar airlines to work together to create a truly regional network and a consistent experience for passengers by opening up new travel opportunities and delivering lower fares for customers on the Jetstar network,'' he said.

The Jetstar Group consists of Jetstar Airways in Australia and New Zealand, Jetstar Asia in Singapore, Jetstar Pacific in Vietnam, Jetstar Japan and Jetstar Hong Kong which is launching this year, subject to regulatory approval.


View the original article here

Thứ Sáu, 15 tháng 3, 2013

Troubled 787s set to restart flights

Boeing 787 Grounded

Boeing's newest and most technologically advanced plane, the 787 has been grounded since January after a fire caused by an overheating battery broke out on board a Dreamliner in Boston. Picture: AP/Elaine Thompson Source: AP

BOEING says commercial flights of its grounded 787 jets should restart "within weeks" after an overheated battery caused a plane fire.

This is despite the fact the airline maker has yet to pinpoint the cause of the overheating.

Boeing Co. Chief Project Engineer Michael Sinnett outlined a fix centered on a new design for the lithium-ion battery system that has layers of safeguards to prevent overheating and measures to contain malfunctions.

"We could be back up and going in weeks and not months," Sinnett told reporters at a Tokyo hotel. A third of safety tests have already been completed. A Japanese official said it was possible flights could resume next month.

The 787 fleet was grounded worldwide by the US Federal Aviation Administration, its counterparts in Japan and other nations in January, following a battery fire in a Dreamliner parked in Boston and an overheated battery that led to an emergency landing of another 787 in Japan.

All Nippon Airways, a major Japanese carrier, was the launch customer for the technologically advanced Dreamliner planes. With Japan Airlines another customer, about half the 787 jets in use are with Japanese carriers.

The Boeing executives sought to allay flier fears about the 787 by repeatedly stressing their commitment to safety. The Dreamliner is the first airliner to make wide use of lithium-ion batteries. They are light and quick to charge but can suffer from "thermal runaway," a chemical reaction in which a rise in temperature causes a spiral of temperature increases.

The executives said it would take too long to figure out what had specifically caused the problems in Boston and southwestern Japan but the new design would ensure 787s are safe.

Boeing came up with 80 possible causes for the battery failures, categorized them into four groups, and came up with design changes such as better insulation between each battery cell so any malfunctions won't spread. That was to allow the 787 to be back in the air more promptly, they said.

There were also changes to wiring for the battery, aimed at preventing overheating, and a new enclosure for the battery that they said would eliminate fire risk.

The enclosure has a direct vent to carry battery vapors outside the airplane, and small holes at the bottom of the battery case will allow moisture to drain from the battery, according to Boeing. The battery charger is also being adapted to beef up safety, it said.

While executives acknowledged that final approval would have to come from the FAA, and didn't rule out further delays to ensure safety, they said they were in close contact with the FAA and didn't foresee any long delays.

"It's a safe airplane. We have no concerns at all about that," Sinnett said.

Boeing Executive Vice President Ray Conner offered his apologies to Japan for the problems.

"We do apologize for this situation," Conner said. He said he was in Japan to meet with aviation authorities and airlines, and the company had picked Japan as the place to outline the battery fix.

About a third of the plane is made by Japanese manufacturers, including GS Yuasa, which supplies the lithium-ion batteries.

Despite assurances from Boeing, it is unclear if travelers will have enough confidence in the 787 to book flights on them.

Aviation analyst Kotaro Toriumi said carriers will likely face some challenges wooing people back to the 787 especially because the cause of battery overheating has not been identified. But many won't hesitate to do so once the FAA gives the go-ahead, he said.

"What the FAA decides will be critical," he said. "Boeing can't afford to have the jets staying idle forever."

Both ANA and JAL have announced cancellations of hundreds of 787 flights through the end of May.

Still, once the FAA clears the jet, approval from Japanese aviation regulators is likely to be instant.

Transport Ministry official Yasuo Ishii said Japanese officials were part of the tests and certification in the US, and planned to go along with and be part of the FAA decision.

He said it was even possible commercial flights could resume as early as next month.

JAL spokesman Jian Yang said in a statement the airline sees the 787 tests going "to a new stage" and was ready to cooperate with others in the effort.

ANA also welcomed Boeing's plan.

"As the launch customer for the 787, ANA hopes for a resumption of flights as soon as possible, while putting safety as a top priority," it said.

Boeing executives played down fire risks, stressing that there was no fire in the Japan failure and that there was no major damage to the aircraft.

They said they would not hesitate to fly on the 787 or have their families fly on them.

They declined comment on questions about monetary compensations for the carriers, which are suffering losses because of flight cancellations.


View the original article here