Hiển thị các bài đăng có nhãn freedom. Hiển thị tất cả bài đăng
Hiển thị các bài đăng có nhãn freedom. Hiển thị tất cả bài đăng

Thứ Năm, 28 tháng 3, 2013

Rapist fails in bid for freedom - this time

INFAMOUS serial rapist Robert John Fardon is to remain locked up - but only until such time as a judge can reconsider if he should be set free.

The Court of Appeal in Brisbane on Thursday morning granted Queensland Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie's application to overturn a Supreme Court judge's decision to release Fardon back into the community under strict supervision.

It is the second time the government has successfully mounted challenges in Queensland's highest court to overturn court rulings that the 64-year-old was fit for supervised release.

However, the court ordered the matter be returned to Supreme Court immediately to consider fresh evidence before deciding if he should be released under strict supervision or stay in prison indefinitely.

In a majority 2-1 decision, Justice John Muir said the Dangerous Prisoners (Sex Offenders) Act required a judge to give detailed reasons when making an order for detention or supervised release.

"This requirement include enabling the parties and the public to understand the judge's reasons for making such an order so as to provide 'the foundation for the acceptability of the decision by the parties and by the public'," he said.

"There was an insufficiency of reasons both for the purposes of (the Act) and under the general law."

Justice Muir, backed by Justice Robertson Gotterson, also ordered Fardon's case be immediately remitted for a fresh hearing.

He said whether Fardon should be released on not should be decided by weighing evidence from two psychiatrists and any other evidence.

"This is an exercise which can best be undertaken by a judge of the trial division who will have the benefit of seeing and hearing the witnesses," he said.

"For the above reasons I would the (A-G's) appeal be allowed ... and that the matter be remitted to the trial division for re-hearing."

Justice Roslyn Atkinson, in a dissenting judgment, said Mr Bleijie had failed to show any error in the decision to release Fardon and that she would have dismissed the appeal.

Mr Bleijie last month appealed a decision by Justice Debra Mullins that Fardon be released from his indefinite jail sentence under the state's Dangerous Prisoners (Sexual Offenders) Act and be subjected to a list of very onerous conditions.

Justice Mullins six weeks ago found the rapist remained a "serious danger to the community" in the absence of an ongoing supervision order, but rescinded an order requiring his continued detention since July 1, 2011.

She found Fardon could be adequately managed in the community order with 34 conditions, including that he notify authorities of any intimate relationship, not visit any place were children of people with intellectual disabilities resided, abstained from alcohol, obey a curfew and wear a GPS tracking device.

Fardon's immediate release was promptly blocked when Mr Bleijie was granted a stay by Justice John Muir pending an appeal.

A hearing to decide Fardon's fate four weeks ago was told the reviled sex offender was planning to live in the community, rather than an area set aside to house dangerous sex offenders, if and when he won his freedom.

The state's Solicitor-General Walter Sofronoff, QC, for Mr Bleijie, said Fardon had an incurable psychopathic personality disorder and should remain locked up indefinitely until he completes a sex offender treatment program.

In June 2003, Fardon, then aged 54, became the first person detained indefinitely - having already served the full-term of his prison sentence - under Queensland's then controversial Dangerous Prisoners (Sexual Offenders) Act.

Fardon has so far spent all but five years of his adult life in jail for sexual offences against women and children.

Fardon's immediate release was promptly blocked when Queensland Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie was granted a stay by Justice John Muir pending an appeal.

Fardon hit a similar hurdle in May 2011 when then Labor Attorney-General Paul Lucas lodged an appeal against a decision by then Acting Supreme Court judge Julie Dick to grant Fardon conditional release.

Mr Lucas's appeal, assuring Fardon's continued indefinite incarceration, was granted when Chief Justice Paul de Jersey, sitting in the Court of Appeal, said the substantial concern was Fardon's demonstrated unwillingness to submit fully to a supervised regime.

He was released under a strict supervision order in 2006 but was detained two years later after being apprehended, charged and then convicted of rape.

Fardon was jailed for 10-years for the rape in 2010, but the conviction was quashed on appeal.

Fardon has so far spent all but five years of his adult life in jail for sexual offences against women and children.


View the original article here

Thứ Ba, 19 tháng 2, 2013

'Islam and freedom are incompatible'

Geert Wilders protesters

Protesters against Dutch MP Geert Wilders appearance in Melbourne. Picture: Jake Nowakowski Source: Herald Sun

PROTESTERS have pushed people to the ground as they tried to stop a Melbourne speech by controversial Dutch MP Geert Wilders.

A group of about 40 protesters blocked the gate leading into the Somerton function centre and were seen physically stopping people from entering, even pushing some people to the ground, as they chanted.

A large number of police, including mounted police, were on scene but have made no attempts to move them on.

Mr Wilders is due to give a speech at the venue as the first part of his Australian tour.

The right-wing MP wants a ban on Islamic immigration and says the religion is incompatible with freedom, but he insists he's not trying to incite violence or insult people during his Australian visit.

NETHERLANDS-POLITICS-JUSTICE-WILDERS

Dutch politician Geert Wilders says Australia should not be scared of him.

The protesters say Mr Wilders is a racist.

Organisers had tried to keep the venue for the speech a secret to avoid protests.

Earlier, speaking in Melbourne at his first Australian press conference amid tight security, Mr Wilders said Islam could not integrate into western societies.

"Islam is totalitarianism ... Islam and freedom are incompatible," he said.

Geert Wilders protesters

Protesters against Dutch MP Geert Wilders appearance in Melbourne. Picture: Jake Nowakowski

Despite threats of protests, no demonstrators attended the press conference, which was held in the outer western suburbs.

Have your say: Blog with Andrew Bolt

About a dozen security guards were present, including personnel from the Netherlands.

Mr Wilders said mass migration from Islamic countries to Western nations should be stopped, except for certain humanitarian cases.

Geert Wilders protesters

Protesters against Dutch MP Geert Wilders appearance in Melbourne. Picture: Jake Nowakowski

"If a homosexual who is taken to jail or threatened to be killed in Iran or a Christian that is mistreated in so many countries today in the Middle East ... when it comes to asylum seekers it's a different story,'' he said.

Mr Wilders said he wasn’t in the business of insulting people or inciting hatred, but he made derogatory remarks about the prophet Mohammed .

"We have to be able to talk in a free society about the character of Mohammed," he said.

"Mohammed  was a warlord, a terrorist, a paedophile, and I would not say that if not today 1.5 billion people believe that Mohammed is the best example to follow.

Geert Wilders protesters

Protesters against Dutch MP Geert Wilders appearance in Melbourne. Picture: Jake Nowakowski

“It would be totally ridiculous to suggest that they are all following the example, but in the ideology the Koran is the word of God and the life of Mohammed ... is the person that they should copy, that they should try to follow.”

Mr Wilders said that those stopped from migrating from countries such as Lebanon would include Christians.

But an organiser of the MP's visit, Andrew Horwood from the Q Society, interjected to say that the situation in the Netherlands was different to Australia.

"We don't have a policy of stopping people coming to this country, we welcome people coming to this country, we ask them to obey our laws,'' Mr Horwood said.

"What's happening in the Netherlands can be different, we're just hearing from some of the experiences, we're not asking that they all happen here.''

Louise O’Shea, spokeswoman for groups opposing Mr Wilders, had earlier warned that protesters would picket tonight’s meeting.

"We want to make sure that anti-racist voices are heard, and that it is clear to people affected by racism and to those who oppose it here and around the world that there is strong opposition to Wilders' message of hate," she said.


View the original article here