Hiển thị các bài đăng có nhãn confident. Hiển thị tất cả bài đăng
Hiển thị các bài đăng có nhãn confident. Hiển thị tất cả bài đăng

Thứ Sáu, 15 tháng 3, 2013

Walker confident of new GP deal

Ron Walker

Ron Walker (left) with Grand Prix chief Andrew Westacott at Albert Park. Picture: Tim Carrafa Source: Herald Sun

AUSTRALIAN Grand Prix chairman Ron Walker has declared his confidence in Victoria signing an extension to its Formula One contract, to keep the race in Melbourne until 2020.

With fans flocking to Albert Park to see Formula One stars push their cars to the limit, Mr Walker said he was certain F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone would sign a new deal.

"I'm confident," he said. "He doesn't want to lose a gem like Melbourne. It's great for him as well because the more successful we are, the more successful Formula One is."

A second straight day of brilliant sunshine saw an estimated 70,300 fans watch the first F1 practice session of the new year, following the first-day crowd of 69,400 on Thursday, the second-biggest on record.

But protest group Save Albert Park cast doubt on the numbers, claiming there was no way of ratifying the figures because there were no turnstiles at entry gates.

Aussies Mark Webber and Daniel Ricciardo were crowd favourites throughout the day, but fans were also out in force to see V8 Supercars stars, the celebrity race and daredevil Nitro Circus performers.

Webber, hoping to win his first Australian GP crown, clocked the second-fastest time of the day behind his Red Bull teammate and nemesis Sebastian Vettel.

Mr Walker hailed the presence of the two Australians, and predicted Webber and Ricciardo would bring in big crowds.

"Those two being on the grid mean a lot to us and they will sell a lot of tickets," he said.

Mark Webber

The Red Bull crew attends to Mark Webber's car in pit lane. Picture: Alex Coppel

F1 legend Sir Jackie Stewart warned that Melbourne risked falling off the international sporting map if it lost the Grand Prix.

The triple world champion said the world's eyes were on Melbourne and claimed the annual event was more valuable than an Olympic Games or soccer World Cup because those events came around only every four years.

The focus on Australia as a result of the GP was "wonderful for Victoria, for Melbourne and for Australia", he said. "There are countries vying to get a Grand Prix and you have got it. So keep it."

As the gentlemen started their engines yesterday, VIPs in the exclusive Formula One Paddock sipped French champagne and ate gourmet meals above pit lane and a hive of mechanics, drivers and technicians worked to get their racing machines in top order.

Grand Prix chief Andrew Westacott said the Albert Park crowd was "absolutely the safest and best-behaved crowd you will see at any sporting event", with just two people arrested at the four-day carnival last year.

Two temporary police stations will be at Albert Park, with foot and bike patrols and water police monitoring the event from the lake.

Saturday's program starts with the inaugural Grand Prix Breakfast at Crown Palladium, attended by the likes of defending Melbourne champion Jenson Button and Australia's last world F1 champion, Alan Jones.

peter.rolfe@news.com.au


View the original article here

Thứ Tư, 20 tháng 2, 2013

Qantas remains confident on Dreamliner

ANA Boeing 787

The All Nippon Airways Dreamliner flight that suffered battery problems last month. Picture: AP Source: AP

QANTAS CEO Alan Joyce says he still hasn't received formal notification from Boeing about delays to its Dreamliner 787 delivery despite the ongoing worldwide grounding of the jets and a looming delivery date.

Mr Joyce today said the airline is continuing to work closely with Boeing to get the troubled Dreamliner aircraft back in the air as soon as possible.

He said Boeing has been in daily contact as it tries to get the aircraft, which was tipped to turn around the airline's struggling international business, back in the air safely.

The airline has firm orders for 14 Dreamliner planes for its budget arm Jetstar, with options to order 50 of the longer-range 788-9 planes. The first delivery is expected to be as soon as August.

"Safety is the number one priority," Mr Joyce said. "We’re working with Boeing on what that will mean to our delivery, we haven’t had any formal notification from Boeing regarding any delays.

"We believe we have flexibility to cope with further delays if that occurs.

"We think the aircraft will be a great aircraft."

First review of the Dreamliner plane in Australia

Today the airline announced a profit of $111 million in the six months to December 31, including the $125m compensation from Boeing from the earlier delay in delivery for 787s. It cancelled 35 Dreamliner orders last years.

It comes as AFP reports Boeing is set to propose to US regulators a plan to temporarily fix problems with the 787 Dreamliner's batteries that have kept the much-heralded planes on the ground for more than a month. Boeing reportedly hopes an interim plan to shield the plane from battery fires will convince US safety authorities to allow the 50 planes grounded around the world to return to service by May at the earliest.

The 787 fleet has been grounded since January 16 after a battery caught fire on a Japan Airlines plane parked in Boston and a smoking battery led to an emergency landing by an All Nippon Airways plane in Japan. A probe into the overheating of a lithium ion battery in the All Nippon Airways plane found it was improperly wired, Japan's Transport Ministry said.

When the first Dreamliner plane came to Australia during a global tour in 2012, Jetstar Australia and New Zealand CEO David Hall said the "plane of the future" would be a key part of keeping airfares low as it reduces operational costs such as maintenance and fuel.

"It will underpin the continued success of our low cost business," Mr Hall said.

It will also deliver great benefit to Qantas, with Mr Joyce saying it will help the airline thrive amid the current challenges facing its international business. He said it will also make the airline's fleet the youngest since the business was privatised.

While it has not been suggested the plane's fundamental design can't be fixed, analysts remain uncertain how much will need to be changed and whether the problem is isolated to the batteries.

The Dreamliner is considered an aviation breakthrough, with its extensive use of lightweight composite materials and electronics instead of aluminium and hydraulics.

International airlines have embraced the plane as a way to cut fuel costs by as much as 25 per cent.

Fleet changes

The airline also announced it will upgrade its entire fleet of Airbus A330s and order new Boeing 737-800s.

Next year it will start reconfiguring the interior of its 10 A330-300s, for flights between Australia and Asia, and 20 A330-200s, for domestic routes between the east coast and Perth with a new flat seat in business class and new inflight entertainment offering. It will retire its 767s.

“The refurbished aircraft will give Qantas International a truly world-class product in global aviation's most dynamic and competitive market," Mr Joyce said. "Growing with Asia is a major priority for the Qantas Group and this investment underpins our commitment to the region."


View the original article here

Qantas remains confident on Dreamliner

ANA Boeing 787

The All Nippon Airways Dreamliner flight that suffered battery problems last month. Picture: AP Source: AP

QANTAS CEO Alan Joyce says he still hasn't received formal notification from Boeing about delays to its Dreamliner 787 delivery despite the ongoing worldwide grounding of the jets and a looming delivery date.

Mr Joyce today said the airline is continuing to work closely with Boeing to get the troubled Dreamliner aircraft back in the air as soon as possible.

He said Boeing has been in daily contact as it tries to get the aircraft, which was tipped to turn around the airline's struggling international business, back in the air safely.

The airline has firm orders for 14 Dreamliner planes for its budget arm Jetstar, with options to order 50 of the longer-range 788-9 planes. The first delivery is expected to be as soon as August.

"Safety is the number one priority," Mr Joyce said. "We’re working with Boeing on what that will mean to our delivery, we haven’t had any formal notification from Boeing regarding any delays.

"We believe we have flexibility to cope with further delays if that occurs.

"We think the aircraft will be a great aircraft."

First review of the Dreamliner plane in Australia

Today the airline announced a profit of $111 million in the six months to December 31, including the $125m compensation from Boeing from the earlier delay in delivery for 787s. It cancelled 35 Dreamliner orders last years.

It comes as AFP reports Boeing is set to propose to US regulators a plan to temporarily fix problems with the 787 Dreamliner's batteries that have kept the much-heralded planes on the ground for more than a month. Boeing reportedly hopes an interim plan to shield the plane from battery fires will convince US safety authorities to allow the 50 planes grounded around the world to return to service by May at the earliest.

The 787 fleet has been grounded since January 16 after a battery caught fire on a Japan Airlines plane parked in Boston and a smoking battery led to an emergency landing by an All Nippon Airways plane in Japan. A probe into the overheating of a lithium ion battery in the All Nippon Airways plane found it was improperly wired, Japan's Transport Ministry said.

When the first Dreamliner plane came to Australia during a global tour in 2012, Jetstar Australia and New Zealand CEO David Hall said the "plane of the future" would be a key part of keeping airfares low as it reduces operational costs such as maintenance and fuel.

"It will underpin the continued success of our low cost business," Mr Hall said.

It will also deliver great benefit to Qantas, with Mr Joyce saying it will help the airline thrive amid the current challenges facing its international business. He said it will also make the airline's fleet the youngest since the business was privatised.

While it has not been suggested the plane's fundamental design can't be fixed, analysts remain uncertain how much will need to be changed and whether the problem is isolated to the batteries.

The Dreamliner is considered an aviation breakthrough, with its extensive use of lightweight composite materials and electronics instead of aluminium and hydraulics.

International airlines have embraced the plane as a way to cut fuel costs by as much as 25 per cent.

Fleet changes

The airline also announced it will upgrade its entire fleet of Airbus A330s and order new Boeing 737-800s.

Next year it will start reconfiguring the interior of its 10 A330-300s, for flights between Australia and Asia, and 20 A330-200s, for domestic routes between the east coast and Perth with a new flat seat in business class and new inflight entertainment offering. It will retire its 767s.

“The refurbished aircraft will give Qantas International a truly world-class product in global aviation's most dynamic and competitive market," Mr Joyce said. "Growing with Asia is a major priority for the Qantas Group and this investment underpins our commitment to the region."


View the original article here