Hiển thị các bài đăng có nhãn Police. Hiển thị tất cả bài đăng
Hiển thị các bài đăng có nhãn Police. Hiển thị tất cả bài đăng

Chủ Nhật, 17 tháng 3, 2013

Police seek jewel thief

Alleged jewel thief

Images have been released of a man police wish to speak to regarding the robbery at a Capalaba shopping centre on March 13. Source: The Courier-Mail

A JEWELLERY store robber has been captured on CCTV after a break and enter in Brisbane's south-east.

Images have been released of a man police wish to speak to regarding the robbery at a Capalaba shopping centre on March 13.

It is alleged about 4am a man forced entry into the Redland Bay Road store via a roller door.

Jewellery was stolen and display cabinets were damaged in the robbery.

Police have appealed for public assistance in identifying the man pictured.


View the original article here

Police threat over Wicked Campers

Wicked Campers graphic

Troubling signs: Wicked Campers have ignored rulings to remove offensive slogans from their vans. Source: News Limited

CONTROVERSIAL van hire company Wicked Campers could face police action to remove "offensive" slogans on its vehicles after ignoring rulings by the national advertising watchdog.

The Advertising Standards Bureau is seeking police assistance in forcing the Brisbane-based company, which has 34 locations around Australia and overseas, to remove the slogans it has deemed obscene, discriminatory and derogatory in decisions dating back to 2008.

It is also pursuing the company over an internet promotion offering discounts to customers who identify as marijuana smokers.

ASB CEO Fiona Jolly said Wicked Campers, whose controversial graffitti-style painted vans have been the subject of 39 advertising complaints since 2008, was Australia's biggest serial offender when it came to ignoring the watchdog's rulings.

Ms Jolly said the company was refusing to comply with ASB decisions to remove three slogans with obscene language.

She said the company was also ignoring rulings to paint over another offensive slogan and to remove a Facebook post that were deemed degrading to women.

Wicked Campers has also so far ignored an ASB ruling to discontinue its online "Do You Smoke Weed?'' promotion, which offers discounts to customers who identify as "massive pot heads''.

Ms Jolly said she had this week written to Queensland Police Minister Jack Dempsey to seek police and government assistance in having the vans painted over.

"Wicked Campers are our one and only problem advertiser in terms of compliance,'' she said.

"Ninety-eight per cent of advertisers will withdraw their ad immediately after a board decision, in other cases if an ad is on TV or on a billboard or on radio we have an arrangement so the actual media company or network will withdraw the ad.

"But Wicked are in the very small category of an advertiser who a) doesn't want to comply and b) their marketing is their own van, so there's no broadcaster or publisher that can help.''

A spokesperson for Minister Dempsey declined to comment on the issue.

A Queensland Police spokesperson said the van slogans might constitute a public nuisance offence under state laws, and it would consider any complaint made "on its merits''.

Wicked Campers spokesperson Ross Dudgeon, who gave his official title as "junior executive vice president of awesomeness'', declined to comment.

In the last five years the ASB has successfully requested the removal of 13 offensive slogans from the Wicked Campers fleet.
 


View the original article here

Thứ Tư, 13 tháng 3, 2013

Hen's party mistake police for strippers

dv1486011

Female patrons at a Hen's Night at the Humpty Doo Hotel in the Northern Territory confused police officers with strippers. Picture: Thinkstock Source: Supplied

A HEN'S party mistook police for strippers when the boys in khaki responded to reports of a disturbance at the Humpty Doo Hotel south of Darwin.

The excitable ladies attempted to take the Palmerston police officers shirts off when they entered the bar, Watch Commander Louise Jorgensen said.

"The girls were in fine form and they nearly had their shirts taken off but they managed to escape with their dignity intact," Senior Sergeant Jorgensen said.

Senior Sergeant Bob Harrison said the police were responding to reports that about 10 people at the pub were arguing about 10.40 pm yesterday.

But when they entered they were surrounded by the amorous women.

"They were mistaken for strippers - I don't know any strippers that wear accoutrements belts and turn up in a police car," he said.

Read more in the NT News


View the original article here

Thứ Hai, 4 tháng 3, 2013

Police 'disgusted' by RSL vandals

RSL

Men police wish to speak to regarding the Warrnambool incident. Picture: Supplied Source: Supplied

TWO men have allegedly caused thousands of dollars of damage to an RSL statue after ripping a replica rifle from the memorial.

Victoria Police said it was “disgusted” by the desecration of the Warrnambool Returned and Services League statue.

“The two have approached the statue in the middle of the roundabout and ripped a replica 303 rifle from it,” Senior Constable Adam West said.

“Police have examined the scene and believe that the cost to repair the statue and to replace the stolen rifle will be in the vicinity of $3000,” he added.

The incident happened at the intersection of Liebig and Merri streets around 1.15am on Sunday March 3.

Investigators have released CCTV footage and images of two men that they believe can assist with their investigation.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or to visit www.crimestoppers.com.au

jon.kaila@news.com.au


View the original article here

Hen's party mistake police for strippers

dv1486011

Female patrons at a Hen's Night at the Humpty Doo Hotel in the Northern Territory confused police officers with strippers. Picture: Thinkstock Source: Supplied

A HEN'S party mistook police for strippers when the boys in khaki responded to reports of a disturbance at the Humpty Doo Hotel south of Darwin.

The excitable ladies attempted to take the Palmerston police officers shirts off when they entered the bar, Watch Commander Louise Jorgensen said.

"The girls were in fine form and they nearly had their shirts taken off but they managed to escape with their dignity intact," Senior Sergeant Jorgensen said.

Senior Sergeant Bob Harrison said the police were responding to reports that about 10 people at the pub were arguing about 10.40 pm yesterday.

But when they entered they were surrounded by the amorous women.

"They were mistaken for strippers - I don't know any strippers that wear accoutrements belts and turn up in a police car," he said.

Read more in the NT News


View the original article here

Thứ Sáu, 1 tháng 3, 2013

Police corner 'Mad Dog' in Glenroy

Mad Dog siege

Police at the scene in Glenroy where Antonio Loguancio is holed up inside a house. Picture: Ian Currie Source: Herald Sun

VICTORIA'S most wanted fugitive is cornered by police at a house in Melbourne's north.

Antonio ''Mad Dog'' Loguancio is believed to be holed up inside the property on Justin Ave, Glenroy, and refusing to surrender to police.

The entire street has been sealed off and residents have been ordered out of neighbouring properties.

Shocked residents stood on the street tonight as the full scale of the situation became clear.

One man, who claimed to know Loguancio, said he wouldn't give up without a fight.

''I'm staying here to see what happens,'' he said. ''It won't be pretty.

''He's not going back to jail, he told me that.''

Mad Dog siege

Police at the scene in Glenroy where Antonio Loguancio is holed up inside a house. Picture: Ian Currie

It's understood the man, who would not be named, had already been interviewed and released by police.

Sources suggested Loguancio was by himself but it was not clear whether or not he was armed.

Special Operation Group officers arrived at the house just after 7pm.

Residents reported hearing police use a megaphone to urge Loguancio to come out.

One neighbour, Amhed Ali, said it was a scary situation.

''I was inside, I heard (them) yelling 'Antonio come out'.

Antonio Loguancio

Antonio Loguancio. Picture: Victoria Police

''I hopped under my bed because I thought I was going to get shot.’’

A police source told the Herald Sun officers were prepared to wait it out and were not doing anything in a hurry.

 Police had urged Loguancio to come forward and hand himself in.

Assistant Commissioner Steve Fontana said investigators believed Loguancio was still in Melbourne.

Mr Fontana said Loguancio had become agitated since police went public with a plea to find him.

He said there were concerns for Loguancio, his associates, police and members of the public.

Police are appealing for help from the public as the search for a dangerous criminal continues around Heidelberg, Victoria.

“We’d like to resolve this matter peacefully,” Mr Fontana said.

“Yes, we are concerned. We’re asking him to calm down and contact police.”

Mr Fontana had said officers had been in touch with Loguancio.

Police has appealed for him to hand himself without incident.

Mr Fontana said police had initiated the contact, but he would not reveal how.

"We have been in communication with him at various stages during the night," he said.

"We don't know where he is. We know that he hasn't gone bush or anything like that, but I won’t go into detail.

"But we don't know exactly where he is."

Loguancio, 40, was on bail on weapons and drugs charges when he allegedly attacked his de facto at the weekend.

But those charges were not enough to land him back in jail for breaching a court supervision order.

A warrant has now been issued for his arrest for breaching the order, made last March after his parole expired.

Senior police defended their decision not to go public about Loguancio's disappearance until five days after the alleged attack on his partner.

Commander Doug Fryer said police had been confident of arresting him quickly, as he was a "creature of habit".

- with Mark Buttler, Elissa Hunt and Anthony Dowsley


View the original article here

Thứ Tư, 20 tháng 2, 2013

Bay discovery prompts police search

Wave ski

Police fear the owner of this wave ski may be missing. Source: Supplied

POLICE fear the owner of a wave ski found adrift in Port Phillip Bay could be missing.

Water police officers are appealing for help after the ski was found off Frankston beach about 7.30am yesterday.

The 2.2m white Bombora wave ski, which has blue and red markings, was located about 10 metres off the Frankston foreshore.

Police are concerned for the welfare of the craft's owner, fearing the person may have got into trouble in the bay.

Anyone with information is urged to contact their local police station or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, or visit www.crimestoppers.com.au.


View the original article here

Thứ Ba, 19 tháng 2, 2013

Police angry over baby steering car

Police have appealed for information after a video was posted on YouTube showing a toddler driving a car. (Vision courtesy 3AW)

Tot at the wheel

Police described the incident as "absolute stupidity". Source: Supplied

A TODDLER has been captured on camera steering a car independently through Melbourne's suburban streets.

Police have slammed the actions of the person responsible for allowing the one-year-old to steer the vehicle after footage of the event was uploaded to YouTube.

The video – captured from the passenger seat – shows the baby sitting on the lap of a male driver, who regularly removes his hands from the wheel and allows the toddler solely to direct the car.

It is understood the one-minute clip was filmed in Melbourne and has since been removed off the video-sharing site.

Police have labelled the driver's actions as "absolute stupidity" and are relieved other road users as well as the child emerged from the incident unscathed.

Brimbank Acting Insp Tim O'Conner said the male driver could be liable for a range of offences, including the serious "conduct endangering" and a number of different traffic offences.

"It is just absolute stupidity," the Insp O'Conner told 3AW radio.

"It didn't appear the child was wearing a seatbelt, you've got the possibility of an airbag going off - and we know how dangerous they can be to the people sitting in the seats - and also just the fact that it is a danger to other road users.

"It is really a matter of sitting down and going through it (the video) again and make sure we cover everything off."


View the original article here