Thứ Năm, 21 tháng 2, 2013

Bates: I'll be back, if asked

Deposed LNP minister Ros Bates

FAMILY FIRST: Ros Bates is focusing on her health. Picture: Annette Dew Source: The Courier-Mail

DEPOSED minister Ros Bates has returned to work as Member for Mudgeeraba, determined to focus on her Gold Coast hinterland electorate and restoring her health, but she remains open to a Cabinet comeback.

After resigning on Friday as science, IT, innovation and arts minister, Ms Bates spent the weekend with her family and declined requests for interviews as she handed back her ministerial mobile phone.

She yesterday laughed off speculation she had gone to ground and was considering retirement from politics.

"No, no. I love my electorate. I've campaigned since 2005 for this seat," Ms Bates said.

Despite months of ill health and controversy, in which she and her family were targeted over allegations of nepotism, Ms Bates remains open to a promotion in the long term.

Asked whether she would accept any future offers to chair a parliamentary committee or be appointed to another ministry, she replied: "Look, you never say never in politics.

"Certainly at the moment I'm putting my electorate and my family and my health foremost. Who knows what the future will hold?"

Ms Bates received treatment last September for an infected shoulder before taking leave to care for her son, Ben Gommers, who had health issues after a row erupted over his appointment to a $103,000-a-year job in the Transport Department.

A month later she was forced to take more leave after a fall at her home in which she sustained fractures to her back.

"I think I had 10 years' worth of illness in 10 months. I just want to get on with the job now," Ms Bates said.

She remained philosophical about her time as a minister, working 14 to 16-hour days while ill and under scrutiny for connections with lobbyists.

But she did not want to be portrayed as feeling sorry for herself as it was not the truth.

"It's unfortunate it happened at the same time. It was relentless," Ms Bates said.

After eight months of stress on the family, she revealed her children were preparing to approach her early last week to talk about her future.

"Jill and Ben wanted to sit me down last Tuesday. But they wanted me to be able to answer questions in Question Time. I had just about made my mind up (to resign as minister) anyway," she said.

Ms Bates said Premier Campbell Newman and Treasurer Tim Nicholls had understood the toll on her family. "Both he and Tim have been terribly supportive," she said.


View the original article here

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét